Wednesday, June 20, 2012

At Arcadia 8/7/08



Today I spent most of the day printing things and getting them ready for tonight's Stated Meeting of the Lodge. There is a lot to do and I enjoy doing it. I organize the correspondence, get the bills and money ready to give to the Treasurer print up calendars for those who want them and copy things for the Master and others. I also do a "pre-minutes" which I use to take notes with so that when I come home I can type up the minutes and send them out electronically to the membership. It is 11:27 and I just sent them out.

I don't know if people appreciate getting them or not but I enjoy writing them and sending them out. Next month they will be passed around to be read for approval. We do not read them aloud at the meetings as they are sent out and passed around. If people do not have e-mail addresses they do not get them. But before the e-mail and the Internets they would never have them unless they came out to a meeting.

Another thing we do at my Lodge is that we have a "Business Subcommittee" that reads and approves the bills. If there is an unusual bill or the committee cannot agree on them (which has never happened in my memory) then it would be brought to the Lodge for discussion and approval.

All of these things help to expedite the meeting so that we do not spend a lot of time on the boring part of Freemasonry. I imagine there are people somewhere who like to hear the Secretary read and I know there are some Secretaries who like to hear the sound of their own voice but not this one so much. I like the way we do it. That gives us more time for the activities of the banner above. The Friend to Friend which is what is important about the lodge anyway.

We voted on three petitions tonight so we will be busy with ritual work for awhile. I have to start reviewing my part for Monday. I give the long Apron lecture. I enjoy giving it and I always enjoy bringing new Brothers into our Lodge. Everyone adds something to the aggregate and makes our Lodge one of the best places to be on a Thursday (or any other night).

No comments: