Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Entered Apprentice 8/12/08



Last evening Arcadia Lodge initiated three new Brothers. In taking their obligations they became "Entered Apprentices." The first step into the Lodge and the first activity in which they engage in the Lodge confirms that they believe in a power beyond themselves. No atheist can become a Mason (at least in Iowa, I understand that there are Lodges not recognized by Iowa that admit them.) and their confirmation of this is a necessary step in joining the Lodge.

There is no religious test. A man does not have to belong to a particular church or faith community. In fact he does not even have to belong to any church. But he must have a faith in a Supreme Being.

Next the candidate is taken on a circuitous journey around the Lodge by the Senior Deacon to the Altar of Obligation. I have written in the past about how the obligation taken at this Altar alters a man. We say it "makes him a Mason." But in actuality it is the entire ceremony, in fact all three ceremonies and the continuation of membership which "enrolls" him or confirms him as a Mason.

It was a great thing for the Lodge and all three candidates expressed their appreciation for the work that was done. We even had the lecture for the third section last night. Larry came up and presented it. It was masterfully done and all of us appreciated his coming to perform this lecture. Perhaps he will inspire someone from our Lodge to learn it. It is certainly an impressive part of the degree.

The scripture used for this degree is"
"Behold! how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity:

" It is like the precious ointment upon the head that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard that went down to the skirts of his garment:

"As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for evermore."

I love the line "Behold! how good..." for me that is the Masonry in its entirety. Those who, through their own egos destroy that pleasantness make me sad. They do not really understand what the Masonic Lodge is all about. It is about Brotherhood. It is not about how many titles or honors one can receive or about who wears the big necklace. It is about caring for one another and treating each other with respect and love. When that is not there I choose not to participate with those individuals who damage that unity. Masonry is a "big tent" and has many pastures. I don't need to be where I am not wanted.

That is why I have chosen to withdraw from one of the Lodges where I belonged. They should have read and acted on my request last night. A chapter in my life is closing. I am moving on to a new chapter. I shall miss my involvement with some of the Brothers there but when I am treated disrespectfully time and time again it is time to "get the message" and move on. I am sorry for that but I have to much respect for myself to put up with mistreatment.

If you wish to read more about the Entered Apprentice Degree you may gohere.

No comments: