Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brother Kevin's Thoughts 3/16/08



Kevin and I have had a conversation extending over several e-mails about what happens at Lodge. He has written his thoughts and allowed me to share them with you. He writes:

"Here's my list of what our fraternity should be doing:

1) Blue Lodge meetings should not be a stepping stone to an Appendant Body meeting. Don't discount Blue Lodge meetings by hurrying them along to get to another meeting.

2) Every once in awhile, let's eschew the bologna sandwiches and potato chips and have a real dinner, and some real Masonic fellowship.

3) It's not a crime to be a Mason, it's a privilege. Let's start acting
like it. Petitioning a Lodge for membership is an honor, not something sneaky. (I don't want the guys at the office to know, or my wife, or in-laws, etc.) My wife was told, up front, when I petitioned. Same for York and Scottish Rite. And Shrine.

4) We meet on the level. Concept Lodges (Lodge Vitruvian comes to mind, and a certain Lodge in Texas) look good on paper. But go underneath the surface. Certain (not all) members of these Lodges promote elitism. Tuxedo, very few meetings, expensive dinners, political agenda, written excuses for non attendance required, very high dues, etc. What message does this send? This compromises "meeting on the level". I doubt the common Joe whose Masonic credentials are without equal would be accepted here. I question our Brethren as to what purpose this really serves. And look at the background of the founders of these Lodges.
These guys aren't about meeting "on the level", they're about forming a "restricted" club. This isn't Masonry as it's been defined to me. This is not an indictment of ALL members of that Lodge. I'm sure their intentions are pure. I'm just concerned about those members who write policy and set the pulse and tone of those Lodges.

5) Ritual. One of the reasons I petitioned. Time honored. What sets us apart from other fraternities. It should not be something that is "tolerated", it should be something we revere. It should be embraced. How do we preserve it? We should all learn to look forward to it at Blue Lodge, York Rite, and Scottish Rite. Ritual committees, to preserve and foster it. Hmmm, what a concept. Kudos to Dave Dryer here, and he's not the only one.

No comments: