Monday, June 18, 2012

Brotherly Love Relief and Truth 10/11/07




In the Masonic Enlightenment Course for Iowa this explanation of Relief is given:

The most common interpretation of relief is some form of charity. Masonic relief has still another meaning. A person may be distressed in many ways other than financial. He may have a business or a family problem that discourages him, and a helpful suggestion may give him the relief he needs. He may be lonely because he lacks proper associations; then a cheerful word may give the relief he seeks. We claim that there are many ways of giving relief. To relieve the distressed is a duty incumbent on all men. To sympathize with them in their misfortunes, to console them in their sorrows, and to restore peace to their troubled minds - these are the great aims we have in view. We, as Masons, must be alert to recognize these opportunities and offer our services in the way that will best bring relief.- 08-31-2007 ©2007 Grand Lodge of Iowa, A.F. & A.M
I received copies of the new Enlightenment Course for Iowa in the mail yesterday. I would say that they read my post on Proficiency but I know they didn't. It came without an answer key. As an old school teacher (who still does "teacher things") I decided to sit down and make one. I came across the above in the writing. I was enlightened.

You know, sometimes I go through life and things just don't "hit" me. I could have something on my mind or for some other reason am distracted. I have, of course, heard the words Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth many times...but I doubt that I ever really thought about what it meant.

I had never seen the many paths to bring relief to a person. I have, of course, done all these things - without thinking about it because it is in my nature to care. I am not a person who likes to beat up on others nor do I ignore opportunities for charity. Hell, I even have been know to give money to homeless people on the street (even though I know they may spend it on booze) but I have never thought of it as a Masonic Duty.

I'm not perfect, don't claim to be. I make mistakes and I set standards for myself and don't always live up to them. I need constant reminders to do better. That is why the Ancient Prayer is in the left hand column. As a constant reminder of what I want to be and what I want to be like. I read it every day. And I feel guilty when I don't live up to it. And I never have.

To relieve the distressed is a duty incumbent on all men. To sympathize with them in their misfortunes, to console them in their sorrows, and to restore peace to their troubled minds - these are the great aims we have in view
Sometimes their minds are troubled and we don't know it. Sometimes we help without knowing we are helping. These aren't just Masonic virtues. It says "a duty incumbent on all men" but I would add - "more especially a brother mason." Look around see if someone is hurting and in need. Be sensitive to him and help him though a tough time. You will be fulfilling a Masonic duty and you will improve yourself in Masonry. Sometimes all he needs is that helping hand or a hug (even if it is symbolic) to bring him up. Simple reassurance that he is valued and valuable and not something to be "put out to pasture."

Think about it and find ways to fulfill this Masonic Duty. You will be glad you did

1 comment:

Harold said...

Well done Jay. I hope it starts some Brothers thinking a little more, about the meaning/options with CHARITY. Practice is good, I as you sometimes fore get, but I guess that is why we are not perfect. I am and always will be working towards the perfect ashlar and I appreciate men like you who take the time to express themselves with respect to masonry.