Monday, June 18, 2012

Eastern Star


Today I went over to Boone to attend the Eastern Star Masonic Home Board meeting. I enjoy this activity. This is the second year of a five year term on the board. The home has been there for 100 years and is an incredible operation. It has several levels of care from those who are fully mobile to full care. I ran for the Board so that I could give something back to the Home. My grandmother's sister spent her last years in the Home and it was a good experience for her.

I am a fourth generation member of the Eastern Star. I remember when my grandfather rejoined the Masons and my mother could join Eastern Star. She had been a Rainbow Girl serving as a Grand Officer in 1930 and had loved it. I think she loved Eastern Star more. When she joined the Chapter was when she told me that I "might enjoy" the Masons which turned out to be an understatement. After I joined the Masons I took a personal day off from school and came to Ames to join Laura Chapter. Hugh and Virginia Hossle were the Matron and Patron when I joined and it was guest officer night. Mother was the only regular officer who participated in my initiation and I can still see her standing there giving me Ruth's lecture in her long white dress. It is a very special memory for me.

The Order of the Eastern Star is the largest fraternal organization for women and men in the world and has chapters all over the world. They have a headquarters in Washington DC and if you are ever there it is well worth taking the time to stop and take a tour. One of our Iowa Past Grand Matrons was the Right Worthy Grand Secretary and lived in the mansion which had belonged to Mr. Belmont who used it for entertaining. It sat vacant during the depression and the Eastern Star purchased it full of treasures such as a 24 carat gold covered piano and a collection of Tiffany vases.

I have been Worthy Patron of Laura Chapter nine times and still enjoy the Order and especially the friends I have made over the years. Rob Morris is the person who wrote the original ritual of the Oder and he did a good thing.

No comments: