Monday, June 18, 2012

Feedback on Leadership 10/16/07





I got three e-mails and one verbal comment on my blog articles on leadership. The following are edited quotes from the written comments.

The verbal comment wondered if I had backed down somewhat on my second entry because someone had “jumped me” about the first one. Actually the only comment that I got was one that pointed out that the Committees on the Web site were not current. I have had them removed until I get the new ones.

Now to the written comments: I will not identify the writers by name but they are all three from people I have a high regard for.

This is from someone who works on the local and state level. It can be done.

I read your "Leadership" blog yesterday. You were right on target. Don't feel like you have to apologize for what you wrote... if anyone felt offended, then it was because their conscience is guilty in relationship to what they were elected or appointed to do.

There are a few "bright" spots...you mentioned Charlie, David, and Greg. There are a few others, but not many. …Butch Zummak visited nearly every Commandery in the State of Iowa. If they hadn't had a meeting for quite a few years, then he told them to get some guys out because he was coming for a visit.

We as a society have become so deficient in leadership in everything, not just Masonry. I have thought a lot about leadership. I have come to the conclusion that you either have the "leadership" gene or you don't. I do think the talent can be polished, but you have to have something to at least begin working with.

...

I have come to the conclusion that people in general have become lazy and have lost their innovative abilities. It is just easier to "slide" on through than to use our grey matter between the ears.

I feel that it is so sad that our supposed leaders don't take pride in our organizations, especially in light of the fact they are 100+ years old. It is sad to see people not putting in the effort to keep something with that type of history, active and vibrant for the future.

One thing that I really picked up on last Saturday from Fred Kleyn was when he talked about the San Diego Conclave doing a fun, social thing. I think he mentioned the members and their ladies going out to a yacht club in the spring for a nice dinner. I had never thought of an idea such as that for an honorary organization, but the more I thought about it, the more intrigued I was about the idea.

Well I better go, you have probably heard enough of my "rantings", but I did want to let you know that you were right on and have nothing to apologize for, you spoke the truth!



From another friend/Brother, Past Grand High Priest

I read your blog about the lack of leadership. Then I read your follow- up article. I AGREE with you one hundred percent. That is what I have been preaching for years.

...

You are right, we have a severe lack of leadership. Leaders are born, not made! No matter how many leaderhip seminars one attends, they are not going to be a leader. They will be a better follower, and there is nothing wrong with that. Not every leader is a ritualist and not every ritualist is a leader, but we in Freemasonry make that dangerous assumption. We need people to make coffee, fill the sidelines and greet people and their role is just as important as the ritualist!


And this from a very respected Masonic Author. Thirty Third Degree who was also a good friend of Jerry Marsengill’s.

The York rite is structurally doomed to failure. To quote our dear brother Marsengill, "In the York Rite you preside or you're shit." For the man who can't memorize or doesn't like to, or who can't handle the "every 2nd & 4th Wednesday" routine, the Scottish Rite offers real alternatives for contribution and recognition. In the York Rite, we turn over grand officers so fast, that no one can make any difference. And if you're a "good boy" in your local body, you're then invited to join something exclusive or asked to serve the Grand Body, and all of this takes you away from participating in your local body.

You've hit the nail on the head and the "powers" on their sensitive ingrown toenail!


So that is what I have heard so far. From three people I have great respect for. I did not write this to put anyone down but rather to try to motivate those who are coming up through the line to think about why they are there. If they aren’t there to serve the Rite and make it better then I question if they should serve. Masonry should not be for self-aggrandizement. THE YORK RITE HAS GREAT LESSONS TO TEACH! They complete the first three degrees and enhance them. I think it is important to do everything we can to save it. That is why I wrote the articles. Not to criticize but to inspire.

No comments: