Monday, June 18, 2012

Myrmidons 9/30/07



On Friday I gave you a word to look for. Those of you who found it raise your hands. Not very many. I would say I was disappointed but really I didn't expect much. I've been doing this sort of thing for years and there aren't very many out there who bother to look things up. Now that we have the Internets it is much easier and faster. Of course you have to be able to spell. (See Bob, I know it is important!) I originally spelled it incorrectly and all I got was a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons "stuff." I didn't like any of the pictures.

I used the word in a conversation the other day and my friend did not know what it was. I believe I was using it in regard to the Jurisprudence Committee report of Grand Lodge. You see, they go through all of the legislation and discuss it and then they vote on it as a committee. Then they report the recommendation out to Grand Lodge and the Myrmadons who are sitting there usually (but not always) accept their recommendation and vote the way they want.

I would much prefer it if they simply reported on whether or not the legislation was in proper form and help get it in proper form and not tell us their judgement on the value of the proposed legislation. Then allow for substantive discussion on the Grand Lodge floor.

Did I mention that the Jurisprudence Committee is made up of the Past Grand Masters? The same ones who meet in April (along with the past elective officers of Grand Lodge) to nominate the next year's elected Grand Officers and approve the new Chairman of Division and Reference (Who will in his time become Grand Master). It is an interesting system. These elected officers will (when elected) become the permanent members members of the Grand Lodge. Theoretically the Craft could out number them and vote in someone other than those nominated but I have never seen it happen. It really is a self-perpetuating system and almost always guarantees that the only Grand Lodge Officers that Iowa has are ritualists. Nothing wrong with that, you say. Well tat leaves out a lot of very talented people who just aren't "into" ritual but who could offer a lot to the fraternity.

I remember one Grand Lodge when there was a move to put the Past Masters into the mix by giving them a vote in Grand Lodge (As it is done in the Grand York Rite Bodies) and the Jurisprudence Committee came out against it. The Grand Secretary came out against it (too much work to keep track of all the past masters, I guess) and once again the Myrmidons followed blindly and voted it down. Thus disenfranchising themselves as they moved out of active office in the Lodge.

So by now you have figured out the meaning: myr·mi·don
Pronunciation: 'm&r-m&-"dän, -d&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English Mirmydon, Latin Myrmidon-,Myrmido, from Greek MyrmidOn
1 capitalized : a member of a legendary Thessalian people who accompanied their king Achilles in the Trojan War
2 : a loyal follower; especially : a subordinate who executes orders unquestioningly or unscrupulously

So a myrmidon is not "something devoutly to be desired" unless you are one of those in control. Of course, good leaders really prefer subordinates who question them and challenge them and think outside the box and aren't content to think only what the "boss" thinks. But then, how many "good" leaders do you know?

One I think is a good leader (judgement is still out on that but he shows a lot of promise) is this year's Grand Master. He has made some changes in the way we do business. The Grand Officers, this year, are not going to be a "traveling degree team." They have assignments and are expected to get out among the rest of us and help us, thereby helping Iowa Masonry to improve and grow. It is going to be interesting to see how it works.

In the past, I have seen Grand Masters with good ideas who got "shot down" by the PGM's when they wanted to try something. It takes intestinal fortitude to stand up to that powerful force. Somehow I don't think this one will be (shot down). He is knowledgeable, intelligent, forward thinking and he thinks outside the box. I wish him luck! The fact is that I generally like most of the Grand Masters Iowa has had. They are good men and true who operate on the level and by the square. I am just not sure that the "system" is all it could be. I saw an awful lot of talent at Grand Lodge. Young men with young ideas. But I don't think the forum was there for them to be full participants or for us "older" guys to really listen to them. Not sure how to do it but there must be a way.

If not at Grand Lodge, then perhaps at a Warden's Retreat as is done in Texas. Maybe we should rent the 4-H camp at Luther, Iowa and bring the Warden's together for leadership meetings. To actively develop leadership and give them the tools to be full participants in running the business of their Lodge when it is their year. Come to think of it what about a Wardens and Deacons retreat. Bring them in for three days and make it fun, exciting and meaningful. Hands on participation. You could even do some degree practice there. All kinds of possibilities.

No comments: