Monday, June 18, 2012

The Keystone - 7/6/07




In the Mark Master Degree of Freemasonry much is made of a Keystone. It seems that the "peculiar form and beauty" of the stone allowed it to be passed inspection until the final test when a rigid interpretation of what could be accepted caused it to be thrown among the rubbish. It was later found that "upon this stone depended the completion of the Temple" (Solomon's that is). The Keystone was searched for and found and placed in the Arch and thus the Temple was completed and dedicated. This event is depicted in the beautiful ceremonies of the Most Excellent Master Degree.

I recently found this line in a book I was reading "faith was the keystone in the arch." It got me to thinking about Keystones. As I have said before there are layers upon layers in the symbolism of Freemasonry. Each Brother must ponder the symbols we use and figure out for himself what they mean - for him. Unlike rigid doctrines of politics and religion each Mason's truth is his own and he never stops seeking it. That is why the keystone is so important a symbol.

I have heard the keystone compared to Jesus in some churches.
- In others He is the cornerstone. Both are Masonic symbols. For some Christianity can be found in the ceremonies and lessons of Masonry. For others we are anti-Christian and each will be unable to convince the other side of their own truth.

But the Keystone is a powerful symbol. We jokingly refer to the initials around the circle as meaning "King Solomon had twenty wives, some say thirty." Of course, that is not true but it makes for a good story. In the Mark Master Degree the color of the Keystone is white. It refers to a certain passage of scripture. From Revelation 2:17: "To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it." We then explain the "new name" which he is to receive as a Mark Master and explain that he is to choose for himself a Mark to inscribe in the circle on the keystone.

Choosing a Mark which will then be his is also an important symbol. It is like being baptised in a way - except that you choose your own Mark (name) and you promise to use and keep it and never to exchange it. Putting your mark inside the Keystone places you inside the circle of fraternity and you will always have Brothers who will help and assist you if they are able. (The color white for the keystone also could refer to the unanimous "white balls elect" requirement to be able to join the fraternity.

The Mark Master degree also teaches us that longevity has no part in our worth.  In the eyes of God we are all equal. That is taught dramatically and uses scripture from the New Testament as part of its ceremonies. I have always found that interesting as mostly we use the Old Testament for that is where the building of King Solomon's Temple is described.

These are just some of the things I have pondered in thinking about this degree.  It is important in Freemasonry as it is important and fascinating to me.

What is my "Keystone?" - I think it is many things. I used to say it was family because most of my life centered around my family. Any more I would say my friends because my friends have become my true "family" - I guess I may still be looking (among the rubbish) for my "keystone" - Perhaps the search is really the Keystone. Perhaps someday I will find it. Then my Temple can be completed.

Be Happy and loved. Hugs, jcs

3 comments:

Crystalina Sinclair said...

Your keystone is your soul. Your Higher Self.

archie dorrough said...

Your mind is your keystone, don't lose it, it holds everything together.

archie dorrough said...

Your mind is your keystone, don't lose it, it supports all that you know.