Monday, June 18, 2012

A MAN PLUCK OFF HIS SHOE & GIVE IT TO HIS NEIGHBOR (6/25/07)

Past Grand Master, Charlie Brinkerhoff shared this with me. I know I said that Star Children was enough for today but this shouldn't have to wait. Thanks Charlie.

In a small town in mid-19th century America a young man said to his wife, "Mary, you have a shawl you never use. May I have it?"

She was puzzled for a few moments, but got the shawl. He thanked her and left the house. She was also suspicious, because several evenings during the past few months he had left after dinner without any explanation. He was never gone long, and when he returned he seemed to have an inner peace about him. He said nothing, and neither did she.

About a week later, Mary was shopping in the village when she saw her shawl again. She was shocked. It was on the shoulders of a beautiful young lady. Angrily Mary followed the girl to a shabby shack. Mary knocked on the door. The girl opened it and smiled when she saw the visitor. She held the door open and Mary stomped in.

As May looked around she saw an elderly lady propped up on a cot. The lady smiled and said; "How nice of you to visit us."

Mary was stunned. She did not really know what to say. The girl asked if she could fix her a cup of tea. Mary nodded and the girl turned to put a kettle on the stove.

While the water was heating, Mary said "I do not know exactly what to say, so I will tell you the truth. I saw my shawl on your daughter and I was furious. Last week my husband asked me for it, but didn't tell me why. I still don't understand how you have it."

The mother said "We have no idea who left it. We have no idea who has been doing some nice things for us for the past several months. Perhaps now we can solve the mystery. It started soon after my husband died. We had no money and I am unable to work. And Nancy couldn't find a job. We were desperate. We had no food and no fuel. Then one morning when Nancy opened the door she found several packages of food, clothing and coal on the doorstep. You have no idea what that meant to us.

"A short time later, along with more packages, Nancy found a note telling her to see Mr. Tompkins, the lawyer, if she would like a job.
She did and Mr. Tompkins hired her. He sent a doctor to see, who has been coming regularly ever since. and he won't take any money. And we still find packages, but have no idea where they come from."

They drank their tea and chatted pleasantly for some time. The mysterious packages were mentioned from time to time. Suddenly Mary asked: "Was your husband a Mason?"

"Yes, he was," said the lady. "He loved his Lodge. I don't think he ever missed a meeting." A short time later Mary left, promising to visit often.

After dinner that evening, Mary worked on a quilt she was making while her husband read. She looked up from her work and said "I think I learned the great secret of Masonry today."

Her husband looked at her with alarm and asked, " And what is it?"
Mary answered, "To do good and not say anything about it."

The Masons of that small town had plucked off their shoes to help those in need. SHOULD WE DO ANYTHING LESS?

Millions of great men have been and are members of the Craft. Many have become truly Master Masons. But more have not. Actually, only a few Freemasons over the years literally plucked off a shoe and worked for the Fraternity. Imagine what a wonderful difference it should make throughout the world if only those millions who have received the Degrees would fulfill their obligations.

Will you ask yourself - "Have I sincerely plucked off my shoe in testimony of my fidelity to Freemasonry? "

If your answer is "No," will you consider plucking off your shoe? Will
you work for your fellowman through Freemasonry? If you will, you'll
make a difference for the better in today's uncertain world.

EXTRACTED VERBATIM FROM THE WEBSITE OF METROPOLITAN LODGE # 352, Downey , California 90241 , U.S.A.

No comments: