Monday, June 18, 2012

Masonry's Purpose - 7/3/07



"[The} Pillar of Intellect opens to us the secret laws of nature and represents the central process of education, the never-ending search for Truth…constant and careful study of the vast spectrum of human learning."


I heard those words at a second degree the other night. Then on a list I am on Robert Davis of Guthrie, OK had this to say in response to a man who said that the Blue (symbolic) Lodge was enough Masonry for him.



"I suppose I could agree with you if situational and principles ethics, philosophy, comparitive religion, maturity, valor, and self examination were not important in a man's life. To say that all you ever need to know about Masonry you learned in Blue Lodge is like saying all you ever need to know about religion you learned in your faith. That would seem to be in opposition to the significant theme in Masonry that we should balance faith with reason, science with inspiration, rational thinking with intuition, etc.


The value of the various teaching systems in Masonry is that they broaden our ability to develop critical thinking skills. This can't help but improve us as men and as contributing members of our society.


I heartily agree with you that if a man joins the higher Masonic bodies just to say he has a higher degree than another brother; then he has learned little and understands less about what it means to be raised a Master Mason.


Sadly, there are far too many caught in that paradigm. But there are also many seekers among us who participate in, and make a life long study of all that Masonry has to offer because we know it to be a non-dogmatic path to self enlightenment which can lead us to a clearer understanding of Truth.


That is a journey that is not defined by limits. It is experienced by degree or process (and I'm not talking about numbers here).


I applaud what you know; and I have personally learned from many of your posts. But I also know there is much more in Masonry that would have much meaning to you."


I have found Brother Davis to be very perceptive. I had tried to respond to the Brother who had written that the Blue Lodge was enough but Brother Davis says it so much better than I.

I am always pleased when I find a new Mason who is interested in reading and studying about the craft. There are layers upon layers of things to study and every time I pick up a book or read or attend a degree I learn something. I think that is why I keep coming back. The fraternal aspect is important and in fact Masons have become my "family" in more ways than one but the constant looking for answers to questions and thinking new things challenge me.

Of course you can do that elsewhere but nowhere else is the individual so responsible for his own growth. No preacher or government official or teacher telling me what to think. I must find Masonry's secrets for myself.

No comments: